FW: SLA's BOARD.COMmunicate Vol 1. Issue 8

From: Horacek, Tamara (TLH@dolby.com)
Date: Thu Oct 10 2002 - 17:52:37 PDT

From: "Horacek, Tamara" <TLH@dolby.com>
Subject: FW: SLA's BOARD.COMmunicate Vol 1. Issue 8
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 17:52:37 -0700

check it out - the Bylaws passed :
-Tamara Horacek

-----Original Message-----
From: Board Feedback [mailto:boardfeedback@sla.org]
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2002 7:34 AM
To: Broadcast Communications
Subject: SLA's BOARD.COMmunicate Vol 1. Issue 8

Welcome to BOARD.COMmunicate, SLA's electronic newsletter dedicated to
keeping you connected to the leadership you elected.

SLA Bylaws

I am pleased to announce that the bylaws revision has passed. At the annual
business meeting this past June, we voted to send the proposed bylaws out
for a vote of the full membership. Our current bylaws require that a
two-thirds majority of the returned ballots in favor of the revised bylaws
was needed for the bylaws to pass, and we obtained that vote. The actual
vote count was as follows: 2231 ballots submitted; 2081 in favor; 91
against; 59 invalid. The Board of Directors at its upcoming meeting on
October 25th will vote to ratify the results of the election and make the
bylaws effective as of November 1, 2002. As a result of the bylaws
revision, the chapters and divisions will be able to revise their operating
documents, in effect going from unit bylaws to unit guidelines, which will
be easier to modify as local conditions dictate. We feel the entire
Association will benefit operating under these new bylaws. This revision
was well over a year in the making, and the Board would like to thank
everyone who got involved with the process - either "for" or "against." The
bylaws sent out for your vote were revised a number of times based on
members' input, proving that dialogue and cooperation are the way to get
things done.

Executive Director Search

SLA has hired The Breckenridge Group to provide executive search services
for us as we begin the recruitment process. We requested proposals for
services from 17 firms and received proposals back from 13 of those firms.
The Association Office Operations Committee (AOOC) reviewed the proposals
and felt that the services available from Breckenridge most closely matched
our needs at this time. Breckenridge has offices in Washington, DC and New
York City. While Breckenridge itself is fairly new (established earlier
this year), the principles have well over 50 years of experience in the
executive search field - most of that with the firm Foster Partners, the
executive search affiliate of KPMG. Previous clients from the non-profit
sector include: the Association for Information & Image Management, the
American Petroleum Institute, the American Council on Education, and the
National Association of Manufacturers. I believe our interests will be well
served working with The Breckenridge Group. They will start working with
our search committee developing the background information they'll need for
the search. I anticipate active recruitment of possible candidates will
begin in 5 - 6 weeks. Further information regarding the search will be
available at that time.

Fall Board of Director's Meeting

The Board of Directors will hold its Fall meeting on October 25th at our
headquarters building in Washington, DC. The documents, the Board will be
considering are available to members on the SLA web site. While the Board's
Executive Session is not open to members, I invite interested members to
participate in the Open Session (which should begin about 9:30am EDT).

Communicating with the Board of Directors
The Board seeks your input. To express your opinions, viewpoints, and
ideas, please feel free to contact any member of the Board. For a complete
listing of contact information, visit
http://www.sla.org/content/SLA/Structure/200203BoardofDir.cfm.

information intended for a specific individual and purpose. If you are not
the intended recipient, delete this message. If you are not the intended
recipient, disclosing, copying, distributing, or taking any action based on
this message is strictly prohibited.