Copyright current events

From: Joshua E. Richardson (jer@anshen.com)
Date: Wed Dec 18 2002 - 10:27:12 PST

From: "Joshua E. Richardson" <jer@anshen.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 10:27:12 -0800
Subject: Copyright current events

Hi all,

Was continuing to read up on copyright and how it affects my organization's information policy, when in today's Chronicle popped up two interesting (and perhaps significant) developments on the issue.

The first was the acquittal decision in the Adobe eBook copyright case. The article also references local Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren's proposal to alter fair use rights in the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (1998).

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi- bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2002/12/18/BU71052.DTL

...the second article covers the San Franisco-based Public Library of Science. A scientific journal dedicated to providing free and open scientific information to the public at-large:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi- bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2002/12/18/MN2704.DTL

PLoS

http://www.publiclibraryofscience.org/

Seems like there's a lot of activity going in the Bay Area on the copyright/open access issue and I'm wondering how we, as SLA members, fit into all this. Just seeing if there are some dots here that we can begin to connect. : )

Have a great holiday season and a happy, happy new year!

-Joshua

Anshen+Allen, Architects
Joshua E. Richardson
.v. 415.882.5292