RE: SLA-SF: [Fwd: USA PATRIOT Act Resolutions of State Library A ssociations, fromA LA]

From: Rita Evans (revans@library.berkeley.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 27 2003 - 15:00:16 PST

Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 15:00:16 -0800
From: Rita Evans <revans@library.berkeley.edu>
Subject: RE: SLA-SF: [Fwd: USA PATRIOT Act Resolutions of State Library A	ssociations, fromA  LA]

I agree with Richard that our diverse membership makes it unlikely we could
reach consensus. My previous comment that I'd like to see SLA take a stand
was wrong.

I do, however, feel very strongly that our professional association SHOULD
make it easy for its members to locate pertinent information about the
practical implications of homeland security legislation on our library
operations, including the ill-advised provisions of the USA PATRIOT Act. I
remain mystified as to why our association refuses to provide on its web
site a page of links to appropriate sources of information.

I think most of our members would find such a page much more useful than
the space currently devoted to the "SLA Homeland Security Initiative."

Rita