Califa Group Focus Group for Special Libraries

From: Roberto Esteves (robertoe@sfpl.org)
Date: Thu May 15 2003 - 16:18:10 PDT

From: "Roberto Esteves" <robertoe@sfpl.org>
Subject: Califa Group Focus Group for Special Libraries
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 16:18:10 -0700

Hi, SLA’ers…

As some of you may know the Governor has eliminated funding for the Library
of California and its seven regional multi-type library networks. In
response, our local network, the Golden Gateway Library Network, has
proposed that the State fund a statewide service bureau that will
concentrate on the development of services to member libraries. We have
received indications that the State will fund this new organization.

Before we begin operations in July, we would like to hold a planning focus
group just for special libraries. Here’s the “official” announcement of
this meeting. Please let me know if you would like to attend:

………………………………

SPECIAL LIBRARIANS-

We need your ideas NOW on how a new state-wide consortium can help Special
Libraries-

Are you interested in discounted electronic resources/databases? Would
purchasing from a group Master License be helpful to you? How about
getting peer evaluations of expert consultant services? Discount for
equipment? A library organization to handle your fiscal matters? An
intranet just for special libraries? Discounts to Infopeople Training or
co-branding the Librarian's Index to the Internet on your website?

Help us build the Califa Group*-a new service bureau designed to meet your
library's needs. We are looking for 8 to 10 special librarians who will be
willing to participate in a 1 ˝ hour focus group on Tuesday, June 3, from 6
-7:30 p.m. at the San Francisco Public Library. 4th floor meeting room. 30
Grove Street (across from BART’s Civic Center/Market Street exit).

Now's the time to let us know what your priorities are and what you need
from this exciting new non-profit membership group that has received
start-up funding from the California State Library.

The Califa Group service policy is to facilitate "better, cheaper, faster”
library services. To keep this pledge we need to know your priorities and
the specific products and services you want. To reserve your space at this
planning focus group, send email to : RobertoE@sbcglobal.net

*Califa Group is named for the legendary Queen of California because its
services will also be strong, responsive and statewide.

Roberto Esteves

Chief: Information Resources

San Francisco Public Library

100 Larkin Street