FW: Disaster Mitigation Workshops

From: Goldman, Ava (Ava_Goldman@CalPERS.CA.GOV)
Date: Mon Jan 19 2004 - 18:29:55 PST

From: "Goldman, Ava" <Ava_Goldman@CalPERS.CA.GOV>
Subject: FW: Disaster Mitigation Workshops
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 18:29:55 -0800

Cross-posted.

> CCAHA'S DISASTER MITIGATION FOR CULTURAL COLLECTIONS
> April 19-21, 2004
> San Francisco, CA
>
> Collecting institutions have a responsibility to ensure that their
> collections are preserved for future generations. The importance of
> this mission can sometimes get lost in the shuffle of day-to-day
> tasks. However, an unanticipated disaster can quickly remind us how
> vulnerable these collections are to damage.
>
> Disaster planning prepares institutions to respond quickly to
> emergencies. Disaster mitigation, or the ability to identify risks and
halt some emergencies from happening, should always play a key role in an
institution's emergency preparedness and planning effort. In addition to
large scale emergencies, institutions should also be aware of the danger to
their collections from roof leaks, pest infestation, mold blooms, theft, and
fire.

> The Conservation Center for Art and Historic Artifact's disaster
> mitigation workshop series will provide tools for assessing an
> institution's vulnerability to disaster; evaluating fire prevention,
> detection, and suppression strategies; determining security risks; and
> assessing health and safety factors related to disaster.
>
> The workshops are intended for staff who are involved in collections
> care activities or have responsibility for the safety of collections.
> They are appropriate for librarians, archivists, curators, collections
> managers, stewards of historic house museums, site and facilities
> managers, and security and safety staff.
>
> Each workshop will cover a significantly different topic applicable to
> most collecting institutions. Individually, the workshops will
> provide valuable information, but the full value of the series will be
> best obtained by attending all three workshops. Through their
> examination of key issues, these workshops work together to offer a
> framework for the development of effective and comprehensive disaster
> mitigation strategies.
>
> The National Endowment for the Humanities and the California
> Preservation Program have provided subsidies for this workshop. The
sponsors of this series are the Conservation Center for Art and Historic
Artifacts (CCAHA) and the California Preservation Program (CPP).

> WORKSHOPS' DESCRIPTIONS
>
> Assessing Vulnerability and Identifying Risks
> April 19, 2004
> In this workshop, participants will learn how to conduct a
> vulnerability analysis and risk assessment to evaluate the types of
emergencies that might affect their institution and its collections. This
evaluation will help institutions develop effective strategies to minimize
the likelihood of a disaster. A crisis communications expert will address
public relations strategies for emergency situations.
> Speakers:
> Julie Page, Preservation Librarian, University of California, San Diego
and AIC/FAIC Emergency Response for Cultural Institutions Trainer
> Dr. Michael Smith, Assistant Professor, Department of Communication,
LaSalle University

> Fire Safety, Detection, and Suppression
> April 20, 2004
> The assessment and analysis of the hazards and risks faced by an
> institution are critical to the selection of an appropriate fire
protection and suppression system. This workshop will focus on the need to
review current fire protection procedures and systems in historic and
cultural institutions. The workshop will equip participants with the
up-to-date information needed to make informed decisions about fire
suppression systems.>