RE: SLA-SF: Found: SECNAVINST

From: Karin Zilla (karinz@certifiedemployment.com)
Date: Mon Apr 19 2004 - 14:29:45 PDT

From: "Karin Zilla" <karinz@certifiedemployment.com>
Subject: RE: SLA-SF: Found: SECNAVINST
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 14:29:45 -0700

Great story, Chris!

-----Original Message-----
From: SLA-SF@exploratorium.edu [mailto:SLA-SF@exploratorium.edu]On
Behalf Of Chris Orr
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2004 2:04 PM
To: sla-sf@exploratorium.edu
Subject: SLA-SF: Found: SECNAVINST

It's nice to know the outcome of a tricky query, esp. when our list has been
of service...so in case some of you were wondering if my sister Laura found
her military document (today's quest & question), here's her summary of
success.
-Chris Orr

Many thanks to everyone who helped on this (Nick Worthington, Bob Hughes,
Gerald Clark, Paula Lichtenberg, Michael Hardgrave, Pamela Tull, Tera
Secker, Beecher Ellison, Christopher Fogel, Adeen Postar, and Beth Graham)
and to Tottie Degaitas who found the golden ring and emailed me a fax, a
source of wonder for our low-tech library.

For those who are curious, and several were, after fanning out from LAW-LIB,
LLSDC-L, and on to SLA military librarians (courtesy of my sister who is an
SLA member) the final document did turn out to be in print only and was
found in a Navy Directives and Records management office (with many more
abbreviations and acronyms than I could type in by the end of the day) of
the Chief of Naval Operations, Department of the Navy.

My sister once needed to come up with a collective noun for librarians, and
one better than a Cast of Ferrets. She decided on a Persistence of
Librarians. We're nothing if not persisent :-)

I dearly needed cheering up on this 9 year anniversary of the Oklahoma City
bombing and day 1 of Trudeau's sad Iraq series (Get Fuzzy is in Iraq mode
too). Thank you! The reference hunt was great fun.

Laura

Laura Orr
Law Librarian
Washington County Law Library