Multiculturalism article to be published in Library Journal

From: word-art (word-art@myway.com)
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 18:51:42 PDT

Subject: Multiculturalism article to be published in Library Journal
From: "word-art" <word-art@myway.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 21:51:42 -0400 (EDT)

 This was posted to the JESSE list today and Mr. Berry gave me permission to post it to you. I found it very helpful. This was originally a message to the ALA Council and a revised version of will be in Library Journal and also in the ALA Diversity magazine/webzine very soon. Dunn Miller______________________________ White Privilege In Library LandBy John D. BerryApril 26, 2004Having just returned from the CARL (California Academic andResearch Libraries) Conference, where I was a panelist on a Diversity Panelfor Reference service, I just had to stop and think to myself: Whatexactly is necessary, to get across the ideals and values of diversity, notjust in improved reference services, but profession wide? My co-panelists were younger, probably more articulate and female,all to the good and they were most eloquent. We were all willing to dothis session and believe in our professions need for diversity,professionally and in regards to services to our communities. At the end of our session, dur
ing the question and answer period,one academic librarian in the audience said and I paraphrase, "So, if wejust treat everybody nicely, that should do it." Not particularly phrasedas a question either. I know this librarian did not mean this poorly, butthey still apparently didn't get it.Superficially, that answer could be yes. But, that doesn't really get iteither. Perhaps an adapted version of some of the questions from, "WhitePrivilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack by Peggy McIntosh will help. These are yes or no questions, if you can say yes to most of thesequestions, you possess, "White Privilege."1. I can if I wish, arrange to be in the professional company ofpeople of my race most of the time.2. If I should need to change jobs, I can be pretty sure of working in mylibrary position in a library professionally staffed, primarily, if notexclusively with people of my race.3. I can be pretty sure that my colleagues in such a location will beneutral or pleasant to me.4. I

can examine the majority of materials in my library, print or mediaand see people of my race widely represented.5. When I research the national heritage or about "civilization", Ifind that I am shown that people of my color made it what it is.6. I can be sure that my children will find or be given materials thattestify to the existence and contributions of their race. 7. I can speak in public to a professional group, without puttingmy race on trial. 8. I can do well in challenging situations, without being called acredit to my race. 9. I am never asked to speak for all the people of my racial group.10. I can remain oblivious of the language and customs of persons of colorwho constitute the world's majority without feeling in my culture anypenalty for such oblivion. 11. I can criticize my library or my profession and talk about howmuch I fear its policies and behavior without being seen as an outsider. 12. I can be pretty sure that if I ask to speak to the person inch
arge in a library, I will be facing a person of my race. 13. When conducting collection development, I can easily findmaterials featuring people of my race. 14. I can go home from most meetings of professional organizations Ibelong to, feeling somewhat tied in, rather then isolated out-of-place, outnumbered, unheard, held at a distance or feared. 15. I can take a job with an affirmative action employer withouthaving co-workers on the job suspect that I got it because of race. 16. I can be sure that if I need legal or medical or any kind ofreference help, my race will not work against me regarding the quality ofthe answers I receive. 17. If my work day, week or year is going badly, I need not askmyself of each negative episode or situation whether it has racial overtones.If you can answer yes to most of these questions you have social andinstitutional power, "White Privilege", which you may not have earned, butnever the less possess. Accepting this awareness is critical
 you have acommitment to the goals and values of diversity and equity, not only withinour profession, but also within our society and nation.Attending diversity events are learning opportunities. Yes, theycan challenge your perceptions and understandings. Yes, they can beuncomfortable.Change is never easy, but, if our avowed professional goals and ethics areto be sustained as our profession changes, these changes must be effectedby each of us, personally.Your attendance at such events or sessions, does not excuse youfrom the difficult work of change, if you return to your professionalsituation, without effecting that change. John D. Berry, (Choctaw) Native American Studies Librarian Comparative Ethnic Studies Librarian Ethnic Studies Library, University of California, Berkeley ALA Councilor at Large, 2001-2004 America
n Indian Library Association,

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.