Re: SLA-SF: CD rot

From: Chris Orr (christineorr@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 10:02:50 PDT

Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 09:02:50 -0800 (GMT-08:00)
From: Chris Orr <christineorr@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: SLA-SF: CD rot

There is a difference among CDs in terms of longevity. Although we're still in the relative infancy of digital storage media, quite a bit of research and standardization has happened regarding CDs. (DVDs are another story). I use gold Mitsui disks for a reason, though I have few illusions about their being permanent or standing the 100-year test of true archives. Here's a posting from the Visual Resources Association's list that has a link to more info on technical spec's. (The CNN article is educational, but geared more for average consumers who may be buying cheap disks for data.) --Chris Orr