Re: SLA-SF: Hello from a "Twinning member" from India

From: Michael Sholinbeck (msholinb@library.berkeley.edu)
Date: Fri May 21 2004 - 10:31:10 PDT

Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 10:31:10 -0700
From: Michael Sholinbeck <msholinb@library.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: SLA-SF: Hello from a "Twinning member" from India

Hello -

Thank you for your interesting message. I am not sure I have much
advice for your consortia plan - I do not have any experience in this
aspect of librarianship.

Regarding access to databases, etc. - There's an entity called HINARI
that provides free or reduced access to biomedical literature and
databases to developing countries (so not India, but some other
countries in Asia) - you can read about them at
<http://www.healthinternetwork.org/>. For geosciences, maybe an entity
like the IUGS <http://www.iugs.org/> has such a program? Also, does IFLA
<http://www.ifla.org/> provide any assistnace for this type of endeavor?

Rergardless, it was nice to ahve "met" you (elcetronically). Good lick!

Best,

Michael Sholinbeck
Document Delivery/Reference Librarian
Public Health Library