Re: SLA-SF: sla competencies program

From: Rita Evans (revans@library.berkeley.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 25 2004 - 16:14:41 PDT

Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 16:14:41 -0700
From: Rita Evans <revans@library.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: SLA-SF: sla competencies program

Thank you to Michael for digging up this document. It sounds like a lot of
thought has gone into the plans for the revamping of professional
development throughout the association, an effort that's long overdue. In
addition to this document, the information about the Annual Campaign for
Professional Development at
http://www.sla.org/content/learn/annualcampaignPDC/index.cfm is also
interesting.

While I applaud SLA's efforts in this regard, I was rather stunned in
Nashville at the conclusion of the first general session when SLA Exec Dir
Janice Lachance announced the campaign in a very general way, then had
volunteers pass out envelopes for contributions as if it were collection
time at a church service. I'm wondering how other people reacted. I doubt
that many of us had enough information to warrant whipping out our
checkbooks, regardless of how worthy a goal the campaign might be. And I
resented being told how much of the target $1,000,000 was my "share" to
contribute.

If this campaign is going to be successful, and I hope that it is, the
association is going to have to do a much better job of communicating what
it's trying to accomplish, and find a more effective way of solicting
funding than essentially saying, "Here's a great idea, now pay for it."
Getting this document out, and not burying it in the confused mess of SLA's
website, would be a start.

Rita Evans
Institute of Transportation Studies Library
University of California, Berkeley