Directory issues

From: Thomas, Bruce (BThomas@ruthchek.com)
Date: Fri Jul 02 2004 - 10:30:20 PDT

Subject: Directory issues
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 10:30:20 -0700
From: "Thomas, Bruce" <BThomas@ruthchek.com>

I'd like to add my 2 cents, as directory chair of the last few years, to
this discussion.

The income from the ads never came close to covering the cost of
printing and mailing the directory to all members. The last full
printing and mailing cost the chapter $5,480. We received $2,000 in
advertising - for a loss of $3,480.

With a drop in general corporate sponsorship and advertising after the
dot.com.bust, the chapter's Governing Council felt that events and
programs - other than the already-in-the-red-directory - could utilize
the income from these sources to better advantage for the chapter
membership. This, it was hoped, would also put less "stress" on our
sponsors and advertisers.

An additional advantage, I felt, would be a reduction of paper
consumption due to unused directories.

Bruce Thomas, Librarian

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's
too dark to read".

- Groucho MARX