SFPL Firm Library Cards

From: Library (Library@KVN.com)
Date: Tue Jul 27 2004 - 12:32:13 PDT

From: Library <Library@KVN.com>
Subject: SFPL Firm Library Cards
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 12:32:13 -0700

I just found out that the SF Public Library is no longer issuing firm
library cards or renewing currently held cards when they expire. This
strikes me as a stupid policy. I for one, do not want to have to lend out
my personal library card for firm use or when we are using the borrower only
sections of the public library's web site. I spoke with someone in
Borrowers Services who says they are doing this because it is not cost
effective to issue firm library cards and that only 70 firms have cards.
Well, that strikes me as an example of bad marketing by the public library,
rather than firms not taking advantage of a service. Plus, I'm not sure how
this is not cost effective.

Anyway, I was thinking that perhaps some of the local library organizations
might want to get involved in this. I will be contacting NOCALL (Northern
California Association of Law Libraries) and SLA (can someone tell me who
the person would be to call at SLA here?) to see what these organizations
can do to perhaps encourage the public library to reverse its decision. I
would think contacting some business organizations would be useful, too.

Paula Lichtenberg, Librarian
Keker & Van Nest LLP