Re: SLA-SF: students

From: Chris Orr (christineorr@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 13:27:35 PDT

Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 13:27:35 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
From: Chris Orr <christineorr@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: SLA-SF: students

Hi Michele,
I came away with a different take from the Board/Council meeting. I thought we spent a tremendous amount of time on the questions of how to serve students in our profession. We affirmed our committment to helping students in our local area, be they in graduate or para-professional programs. We did not make any move to decrease our student subsidies, in fact, we came up with ways to increase them. Students are in no way "dispensible" as shown by the serious activities of our chapter both as a whole and as individuals to reach out. And last but not least, we have a dedicated, highly-motivated Academic Relations chair in the person of Camille Reynolds with positive plans for the coming year that the entire Board supports.

You mention that you shudder at the $30 cost of attendance for members. That is more at the heart of the matter. The costs are very real to ALL. We are also all being asked to do more with less at our jobs, and find that in 2004 there is even less time to volunteer. As you rightly say, having our volunteer organization take on more infrastructure like a mentoring program that would be better administered by the schools themselves is ill-advised at this time. However, it's clear that our chapter is (and has been) more than willing to support the school's efforts to establish mentor and intern programs by making our members available. If the schools are not doing this for their students, I'm sure that we have the will to lobby for them to step up to the task. Yes, offering our membership to the schools as a willing & capable group from which to recruit mentors is the way to go.

Thanks,
Chris Orr
(Chapter Pres-Elect)