Re: SLA-SF item

From: Lincoln Cushing (lcushing@library.berkeley.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 21 2004 - 11:42:02 PDT

Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 11:42:02 -0700
From: Lincoln Cushing <lcushing@library.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: SLA-SF item

SLA-

As information managers entrusted with a role in preserving some form of
history, you all should know that the story-behind-the-story of the Vietnam
show was the enormous pressure brought to bear on the Oakland Museum to
make it conform more to the wishes and views of the exile Vietnamese
community. The museum made some apparently bad choices in how it handled
things, which didn't help, but the final result raises important questions
about the role of an interest group in defining public debate. It's similar
to the Enola Gay exhibit at the Smithsonian a few years ago.

My two cents.

BTW, Librarians On The Air- I did a 45-minute interview on KPFA's "Against
the Grain" show Monday on Cuban posters and US labor art; an archived audio
file can be found at http://www.againstthegrain.org/

Lincoln Cushing