FW: [CALIX:2937] Governor signs Library Bond Bill

From: Karin Zilla (karinz@certifiedemployment.com)
Date: Thu Sep 23 2004 - 11:49:59 PDT

From: "Karin Zilla" <karinz@certifiedemployment.com>
Subject: FW: [CALIX:2937] Governor signs Library Bond Bill
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 11:49:59 -0700

Hooray!

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-calix@listproc.sjsu.edu
[mailto:owner-calix@listproc.sjsu.edu]On Behalf Of Susan Negreen
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2004 9:48 AM
To: CLA Listserve- CALIX
Subject: [CALIX:2937] Governor signs Library Bond Bill

September 23, 2004

MEMORANDUM

To: CLA MEMBERS/ SYSTEMS/ NETWORK CONTACTS

FROM: Mike Dillon, CLA Lobbyist
                Christina Dillon, CLA Lobbyist

RE: GOVERNOR SIGNS LIBRARY BOND BILL

THANK YOU, GOVERNOR SCHWARZENEGGER!

Late yesterday afternoon, Governor Schwarzenegger's legislative unit
notified Senator Alpert's office, who in turn called us, with the great news
that the Governor had signed SB 1161-Alpert, the Library Construction and
Renovation Bond bill. All of the hard work by the library community in
generating support letters to the Governor's Office evidently had an effect
on his decision to sign the bill. In addition to all of the support from
boards of supervisors, city councils, mayors, and others in the library
community, we were also able to get the support in recent days from the
California Building Industry Association, the Architects Association, and
other similar organizations outside of the library community.

Earlier in the week, Senator Alpert's office called us to ask our thoughts
on holding a press conference to generate editorial support, which we
heartily endorsed. During the last several days, members of the CLA Bond
Task Force, including Contra Costa Library Director and Legislative
Committee Chair Anne Cain, Solano County Library Directory Ann Cousineau,
Sacramento County Library Directory Ann Marie Gold, Senator Alpert's staff
and ourselves, together with newly-appointed State Librarian Susan Hildreth,
and Richard Hall of the State Library, to extent they felt they could be
involved, worked to develop the necessary information and speakers for the
press conference, scheduled for 11:30 a.m. this morning. We put together
press packets containing all of the pertinent information, while Senator
Alpert's staff notified the press of the time and place of the press
conference.

Now with the good news of the Governor's signature on SB 1161, the press
conference will still go forward, but with a different flavor. The original
purpose of the press conference was to demonstrate the need for library
construction and renovation and generate editorial support for SB 1161.
Today, we will use the press conference as an opportunity to thank the
Governor for his actions in signing the library bond bill and emphasize how
the additional funding will be of assistance in meeting the huge backlog of
needs. Slated to speak at the press conference are Senator Alpert, Assembly
Member Lois Wolk, one of the principle co-authors of SB 1161, CLA
Legislative Committee Chair Anne Cain, Sacramento County Supervisor and
Assembly candidate Roger Neillo, and Kathy Geppert of the Sacramento Chapter
League of Women Voters.

The Governor's signing of SB 1161 is a huge victory for the library
community. Special thanks to Senator Alpert's extraordinary efforts. We
have never worked with an author who has made such a personal investment in
their legislation and gone to extraordinary lengths to secure passage and
the Governor's signature.

Lastly, we want to especially thank Governor Schwarzenegger, who despite the
State's current fiscal dilemma, has recognized the important role libraries
play in our communities. Please take a moment today to write a "thank you"
to the Governor.