[Fwd: [nocall-list] ANNOUNCEMENT: Fall Workshop: December 8, 2004, 8:30 - 1:30]

From: Elyse Eisner (eeisner@taylorlib.com)
Date: Thu Nov 11 2004 - 10:16:44 PST

Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 10:16:44 -0800
From: Elyse Eisner <eeisner@taylorlib.com>
Subject: [Fwd: [nocall-list] ANNOUNCEMENT:   Fall Workshop:  December 8, 2004, 8:30 - 1:30]

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [nocall-list] ANNOUNCEMENT: Fall Workshop: December 8, 2004,
8:30 - 1:30
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 12:10:40 -0800
From: Jones, Fran <Fran.Jones@jud.ca.gov>
To: Northern California Association of Law Libraries
<nocall-list@aallnet.org>

Greetings!

We are happy to announce that the Fall Workshop has (finally!) been
scheduled, and to provide the preliminary program and the registration
form for your information and convenience.

DATE AND LOCATION:
Wednesday, December 8
8:30 - 1:30
Milton Marks Auditorium (Program)
Sequoia Room, Judicial Council Conference Center (Luncheon)
455 Golden Gate Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94102

The registration form, including luncheon menu selections, is
attached. The registration fee is $15.00.

PRELIMINARY PROGRAM AND SCHEDULE

8:30 - 9:30 Registration, Continental Breakfast and Library Tours
Tours of the California Judicial Center Library will be offered at 8:45
and 9:00.
We are very grateful to LexisNexis for sponsorship of the continental
breakfast.

9:30 - 12:30 PROGRAM (PRELIMINARY)

Striving For Justice: The 100th Anniversary of the California Court of
Appeal, 2005
    Hon. James J. Marchiano, Presiding Justice, Division One
    California Court of Appeal, First Appellate District

Creative Commons: Reasonable, Flexible Copyright Rules
    Mr. Glenn Otis Brown
    Executive Director, Creative Commons
 From the Creative Commons website: A single goal unites Creative
Commons' current and future projects: to build a layer of reasonable,
flexible copyright in the face of increasingly restrictive default
rules. Balance, compromise, and moderation - once the driving forces
of a copyright system that valued innovation and protection equally -
have become endangered species. Glenn Otis Brown has been Executive
Director of Creative Commons since Summer 2002. Before that, he served
as Assistant Director. Glenn is also a lecturer at Stanford Law School,
where he teaches a class on Creative Commons and free and open-source
software licensing with Lawrence Lessig.

Intellectual Freedom and Intellectual Property: Issues for Libraries
    Mary Minow, JD, AMLS
    LibraryLaw.com
LibraryLaw.com focuses on legal issues of interest to libraries, such as
copyright, privacy and the First Amendment. Mary Minow is a library law
consultant and is the coauthor of The Library's Legal Answer Book, with
Tomas Lipinski, published by the American Library Association, 2003.

Intellectual Property Research Online
    Jenny Kanji, LexisNexis
    TBA

LUNCHEON (12:30 - 1:30)

Volunteers to assist with registration and onsite arrangements are
needed and will be very much appreciated. If additional information is
needed I hope you will not hesitate to let me know. We look forward to
seeing everyone on December 8!

Fran Jones
Chair
NOCALL Fall Workshop