Survey for Business library card

From: Michele McGinnis (mm@kk.org)
Date: Mon Nov 29 2004 - 13:59:22 PST

Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 13:59:22 -0800
From: Michele McGinnis <mm@kk.org>
Subject: Survey for Business library card

Dear SLA-SF members,

(For some, this may be a duplicate, or you could think of it as a reminder!)

As you know Deb Hunt recently received a letter from Paul Underwood,
Acting City Librarian at the San Francisco Public Library, confirming
the library's intention to cease issuance and renewal of business
library cards. This was in response to a letter from Deb asking that
SFPL reconsider the new policy.

Informal discussions with librarians in the Bay Area and around the
country demonstrate that dozens of public libraries issue business
library cards. As part of an ongoing campaign, we would like to
present Mr. Underwood with formal survey results from our membership.
Please take a few minutes to fill out this SHORT survey. It will
help us when we make our presentation to the SFPL. Recently special
librarians from the Cincinnati area met with the CPL and got them to
reverse the public library's decision to stop issuing business cards.
Hopefully, we too shall be successful.

The survey, which has been approved by the SLA-SF Executive Board,
should be completed no later that Friday, December 3, 2004. Results
will be compiled and emailed to all respondents and distributed to
the SLA-SF Reflector & Discussion lists. The survey can be found
here: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=52482712521

Sincerely,

Mark Mackler, Member of NOCALL and SLA-SF
Paula Lichtenberg, Member of NOCALL and SLA-SF
Michele McGinnis, Government Relations Chair, SLA-SF

--
Michele McGinnis, MSIS
Research Librarian to Kevin Kelly

149 Amapola Pacifica, CA 94044 650-355-7676 650-359-9701 fax

mm@kk.org www.kk.org

"They are subversive. You think they're just sitting there at the desk, all quiet and everything. They're like plotting the revolution, man." --Michael Moore on librarians

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." -- Margaret Mead