Intersect Alert, March 4, 2005

From: Michele McGinnis (mm@kk.org)
Date: Fri Mar 04 2005 - 14:36:16 PST

Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 14:36:16 -0800
From: Michele McGinnis <mm@kk.org>
Subject: Intersect Alert, March 4, 2005

Hey Ya'll,

I'm on a roll now. Here is installment 2 of Intersect Alert. I'm
still going to try for a post next week too. Some of the following
items are a bit dated, but worth being aware of.

Library stuff

Librarian picks words carefully
The mayor's pick for a new city librarian made his San Francisco
debut this week during a press conference to announce the
appointment. Luis Herrera, who is scheduled to take command of the
library system in April, made an ambitious promise when it comes to
his new job: "There's a tremendous amount of responsibility, and I
will not disappoint you.''
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/02/18/WBG8EB8I0T1.DTL

Government

Postal service has a novel approach for unwanted books
They were mail-ordered by local residents from book clubs and Web
sites but for various reasons were undeliverable by the post office.
The senders prefer to have them tossed out rather than pay return
postage. So the post office donates them. Most go to the local
libraries. Some go to other nonprofits, such as homeless shelters,
the veteran's hospital and churches.
http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=81186&ran=216339

Get Ready for the New ISBN
The new 13-digit ISBN has been approved and plans are underway to
transition to the new number industry-wide, world-wide by January 1,
2007. Find out how the expansion of the ISBN from 10-digits to
13-digits will impact your business and operations.
http://www.niso.org/standards/resources/ISBN.html

Orwellian

FREE SPEECH: FBI Search Practices Could Limit Public Access to
Government Documents
WASHINGTON (AP) - Public access to FBI records could be diminished if
the bureau wins a court fight to limit the extent of searches
required for documents requested under the Freedom of Information
Act, a principal law to ensure openness in government.
http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGBA3J3CD4E.html

Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004
Search and analyze the text from the Intelligence Reform and
Terrorism Prevention Act. The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism
Prevention Act is the most dramatic reform of U.S. intelligence
capabilities since the National Security Act of 1947. We've imported
the complete legislative text into a searchable askSam database file.
http://www.asksam.com/ebooks/IntelReformAct/

2 0 0 4 P R I V A C Y Y E A R I N R E V I E W
Here are the Top Ten Privacy Stories of 2004 from the Electronic
Privacy Information Center (EPIC)
http://www.epic.org/alert/EPIC_Alert_yir2004.html

How does California's new anti-spyware law affect libraries?
http://blog.librarylaw.com/librarylaw/2005/01/the_consumer_pr.html

Circumventing the FOIA
Disclosure laws like the Freedom of Information Act ("FOIA") and
state public record laws are designed for the purpose of allowing
citizens know what is going on in their government. There has always
been tension between government agencies, legislatures and the public
on the quantity and quality of information released under
these laws. It now appears that there is a new trick in circumventing
sunshine to the public, and allowing governmental operations to
circumvent the FOIA.
http://www.llrx.com/columns/foia16.htm

Open Access

SPARC Open Access Newsletter: Open access in 2004

2004 was the biggest year yet for open access. We saw important new
OA policies from universities, publishers, foundations, and
governments. At the same time, the volume of OA literature grew
significantly, as did support for OA among researchers,
policy-makers, and the public. Here's a review of the year.
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/newsletter/01-02-05.htm

NIH Revises Plan for Quick, Free Access to Study Results An
ambitious proposal to make the results of federally funded medical
research available to the public quickly and for free has been scaled
back by the National Institutes of Health under pressure from
scientific publishers, who argued that the plan would eat into their
profits and harm the scientific enterprise they support.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A16337-2005Jan17.html?nav=rss_politics

**Copyleft: Please feel free to pass along in part or in its
entirety, giving credit or not. MM**

--
Michele McGinnis, MSIS
Research Librarian to Kevin Kelly

149 Amapola Pacifica, CA 94044 650-355-7676 650-359-9701 fax

mm@kk.org www.kk.org

"They are subversive. You think they're just sitting there at the desk, all quiet and everything. They're like plotting the revolution, man." --Michael Moore on librarians

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." -- Margaret Mead