CCLI (California Clearinghouse of Library Instruction) workshop

From: Rose Falanga (rosef@exo.net)
Date: Mon Apr 04 2005 - 14:14:24 PDT

From: Rose Falanga <rosef@exo.net>
Subject: CCLI (California Clearinghouse of Library Instruction) workshop
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 14:14:24 -0700

California Clearinghouse for Library Instruction presents:

Spring Workshop
  Finding the Teachable Moment: Integrate, Collaborate, Appreciate

Friday, May 20, 2005 at the San Jose State University King Library, 2nd
Floor Meeting Room

9:00 - 9:30         Coffee, Tea and Registration

9:30 - 9:45         Welcome and Orientation

9:45 - 10:30       Panel Discussion: Responses to "Information Literacy
Makes all
  the Wrong Assumptions"

10:30 - 11:30     Keynote Address: Kyzyl Fenno-Smith,
Education/Instruction Librarian, CSU East Bay -- It's all about you:
Helping students find *learnable* moments in class, in the library, in
life.
  Student development strategies for reflection, persistence, and
critical evaluation in information literacy curricula.

11:30 - 12:15     Audience Discussion - Finding the Teachable Moment

12:15 - 1:15      Lunch

1:15 - 2:15        The Element of Surprise in Teaching -- Dr. Brenda
Lee Shook,
  Associate Professor of Psychology, and Elizabeth Nelson, Librarian,
National
  University, Sacramento Academic Center

2:15 - 3:15     Real-World Constructivist Pedagogy: Deconstruct and
Build from
  There: Critical Thinking and Constructivist Approaches to Information
Literacy
  Pam Baker, CSU Monterey Bay and Topsy Smalley, Cabrillo College
  Based on activities students can undertake to deconstruct and
implement critical thinking
  steps involved in creating a focused research topic, the presentation
will provide
  teaching examples that build on that deconstruction and can be used in
a variety of
  instructional settings, from one-shot instruction sessions to
Reference Desk
  encounters.

***********
  Thank you for your interest in CCLI's Spring workshop. Our mission is
  offer quality professional development for librarians interested in
instruction at
  affordable rates.

The cost of the workshop is $40 for those who register by April 29 and
includes
  morning coffee, tea and lunch.  If space is still available, you may
register after
  April 29 for $45.  Please print out this form and mail with your check
enclosed,
  check made payable to CCLI, to: Scott Hines, Reference Librarian,
Pacific Graduate
  School of Psychology Library, 935 E. Meadow Dr., Palo Alto, CA 94303,
email:
shines@pgsp.edu, phone: 650-843-3555, fax: 650-856-6734.  Directions to
San Jose
  State University King Library are available at:
http://www.sjlibrary.org/about/locations/king/directions.htm Questions
about
  directions or the program should be directed to Scott Hines via email:
shines@pgsp.edu or phone: 650-843-3555.
  Registration Form
  Name:
  Institution:
  Address:

  Email:
  Telephone:
  Lunch choice (please circle one):
  Veggie (email Scott Hines for Vegan)    Meat-based
  To help us in priming our discussion, we'd love to hear from you about
your own Teachable
  Moments. Please share a short description of your own strategies for
finding the
  teachable moment or of a memorable teachable moment (for many, Sept.
11, 2001 was
  the ultimate teachable moment, for example, but teachable moments can
arise every
  time we interact with students, and, some say, can actually be
created.):