San Francisco Librarians Meetup Group - Next meeting Thursday, May 19

From: Heather L Gamberg (buckleyfan@juno.com)
Date: Thu May 12 2005 - 15:14:13 PDT

Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 15:14:13 -0700
Subject: San Francisco Librarians Meetup Group - Next meeting Thursday, May 19
From: Heather L Gamberg <buckleyfan@juno.com>

Hello fellow SLA members. I'm writing to let you know about the San
Francisco Librarians Meetup Group. It's part of the online Meetup
community (www.meetup.com). The URL for the group is:

http://librarians.meetup.com/10

The group is open to anyone, but specifically tailored to library and
information science professionals and students in the Bay Area. We
currently have a nice mix of both professionals and students, which I
think allows us to learn from each other. We typically meet at 7 p.m. the
third Thursday of each month (though the date can change based on
people's availability) and about 5 to 10 people usually show up. Our
meeting spot is usually a cafe in San Francisco, since the group is
centered in the city. However, people come from the South Bay, North Bay,
and East Bay to participate. And we are open to trying all kinds of
venues, so suggestions are welcome. Discussions so far have covered the
SLIS program, job opportunities, ideas for networking, current issues
facing librarians (e.g. the Patriot Act), and more.

I've only been the organizer for a short time, but I really like the
opportunity to connect with working professionals as well as fellow SJSU
SLIS students.

Our next meeting is Thursday, May 19, at 7 p.m. at Maxfield's Cafe in San
Francisco, and anyone is welcome to attend. However, I must ask you to
please visit the group Web site and RSVP if you plan to come. This allows
me to make reservations and change the venue, if necessary, to
accommodate more people. (While at the Web site, you can also sign up to
be a member and get e-mails notifying you about our meetings.)

I hope to see some new faces this month. It's really a fun little group
-- and has the potential to be a lot larger. If we get a more consistent
turnout for regular meetings, we might even try some special events.

Sincerely,
Heather Gamberg
buckleyfan@juno.com

Organizer, San Francisco Librarians Meetup Group
http://librarians.meetup.com/10