OT: Baseball As America exhibit at Oakland Museum

From: Library (Library@kvn.com)
Date: Wed Sep 07 2005 - 14:04:45 PDT

Subject: OT: Baseball As America exhibit at Oakland Museum
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 14:04:45 -0700
From: "Library" <Library@kvn.com>

 Baseball As America, the first major exhibition to examine the relationship between the national pastime and American culture, comes to the Oakland Museum of California September 17, 2005-January 22, 2006.

http://www.museumca.org/exhibit/exhi_bball_america.html

I saw this traveling exhibit, presented by the Baseball Hall of Fame, at its first stop in New York City several years ago. It is a wonderfully assembled exhibit, drawn from the collection of the HOF in Cooperstown. No fan of the game or student of American culture should miss this. Each stop has exhibits that are particular to the location and in Oakland, they will have material about the Pacific Coast League, Bay Area players Billy Martin, Casey Stengel, Joe Dimaggio, Ricky Henderson, Joe Morgan, plus locals who broke barriers, such as Oakland native "Pumpsie" Green, the first black player on the Boston Red Sox (the last team to integrate) and Glenn Burke, the first openly gay player.
With all the horrible events happening, I thought it would be nice to be able to spread the word about something fun.
Paula Lichtenberg, Librarian
Keker & Van Nest LLP, San Francisco
library@kvn.com