SLA's Natural Disaster Task Force

From: Chris Orr (christineorr@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Sep 19 2005 - 10:49:44 PDT

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 10:49:44 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
From: Chris Orr <christineorr@mindspring.com>
Subject: SLA's Natural Disaster Task Force

from SLA President Pam Rollo:
---------------------------------------

Dear Colleagues,

Membership interest and offers of help to those affected by Hurricane
Katrina has been remarkable. Not unlike the other professional
associations, SLA has been working hard to shape our response to this event
in a way which will enable members to "make a difference". The SLA Board is
working on ways to help the region to grapple with the initial crisis, but
many of us who have been through devastating experiences realize that there
will so many more challenges to face when our colleagues return to their
homes and their jobs.

The IPANDA task force (Information Professionals Alliance on Natural
Disasters and Accidents) is looking for additional members to join the
task force to create programs that will aid our colleagues during what Dav
Robertson (IPANDA CHAIR) and I refer to as "stage 2- the return to work".
We are looking to harness our Association's expertise and our members'
resources. IPANDA is particularly looking to recruit those members who are
technically driven and who can create relational databases and websites and
those members who have recovered from other natural disasters whether it be
the total loss of resource, or cleaning up after floods or fires. Lastly,
we need eyes, we need members to surf the web and collect information from
active websites for the IPANDA blog.

If you can either lend a hand by offering advice and contacts to colleagues
this Fall or can immediately go to work building information infrastructure
or information alerting, then please contact Dav Robertson, the IPANDA
chair, at robert11@niehs.nih.gov.

We look forward to all the great work that you and the rest of the IPANDA
task force will accomplish and thank you for your interest and generosity.

PCR
Dav Robertson

Pam Rollo
prollo@nypl.org