Intersect Alert, January 20, 2005

From: Michele McGinnis (mm@kk.org)
Date: Fri Jan 20 2006 - 15:57:20 PST

Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 15:57:20 -0800
From: Michele McGinnis <mm@kk.org>
Subject: Intersect Alert, January 20, 2005

I wanted to let you know that I'll be leaving SF and my job with
Kevin Kelly at the end of March for a very welcome period of
underemployment back in my hometown of Knoxville, TN. If anyone is
interested in becoming the chair of Government Relations, please
contact Chris Orr directly Chris_Orr@sfo.landor.com. It requires a
very small time commitment. Basically as Chair, you monitor and
report on relevant legislation. Compiling Intersect Alert is not a
requirement, it was just something I put together out of my own
interest.

Ok, thanks, Michele

Library stuff

Tomb raiders
Three years after Iraq's ancient treasures were first stolen and
smashed, the cradle of civilisation is still being looted. It's a
catastrophe, says former arts minister Mark Fisher
http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/features/story/0,,1689799,00.html

The Stress of Being a Librarian?
Delegates at a conference of the British Psychological Society in
Glasgow today will hear the results of a research project which
suggests that being a librarian induces more stress than working for
the emergency services, driving a 125mph express, or teaching a class
of ill-behaved children.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4605476.stm

Molly Ivins: Bush keeps getting it wrong
Yep, time after time, it's those radical militant librarians impeding
those pitiful, helpless agents at the FBI.... You can always suggest
to the radical militant librarians that instead of saying, "Shhhh!'
they yell, "Shut up!"
http://www.sacbee.com/content/opinion/story/14037874p-14869606c.html

Fujitsu Wins Contract for World's First Library System Using Palm
Vein Authentication Technology
Users of the Naka City Public Library will be given the choice of
using an ID card with an embedded IC chip, or use of palm vein
authentication system for identity verification. Users who select
palm vein authentication will be able to check out library materials
or use its audio-visual section without using ID cards. Users simply
suspend their hand above the authentication device and their palm
vein pattern is compared to their pre-registered pattern for
verification.
http://www.fujitsu.com/global/news/pr/archives/month/2005/20051222-01.html

Government

Information on Samuel A. Alito, Jr., Nominee for Justice of the Supreme Court.
http://www.law.umich.edu/library/news/topics/alito/alitoindex.htm

Orwellian

Feds after Google data
RECORDS SOUGHT IN U.S. QUEST TO REVIVE PORN LAW
By Howard Mintz
Mercury News
The Bush administration on Wednesday asked a federal judge to order
Google to turn over a broad range of material from its closely
guarded databases.
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/13657303.htm

Tracking: it's not just for the NSA anymore
A couple of weeks ago, it was reported that the NSA used something
called "persistent cookies" on their website to track the behavior of
users visiting the site. Now, CNet has a report up saying that it's
not just the NSA that that's keeping an eye on you -- it's dozens of
governmental agencies, all misusing cookies and storing various
levels of behavior and information on you.
http://www.alternet.org/blogs/themix/30588/

Take Action!

**Counter Copyright: Please feel free to pass along in part or in its
entirety, giving credit or not. MM**