Re: SLA-SF Digest #973 - 02/02/06

From: Daniel Holmes (dholmes@sierranevada.org)
Date: Wed Feb 01 2006 - 22:57:50 PST

Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 22:57:50 -0800 (PST)
From: Daniel Holmes <dholmes@sierranevada.org>
Subject: Re: SLA-SF Digest #973 - 02/02/06

Fascism seems alive and well in America.

http://fbnewsleader.com/articles/2006/01/13/opinion/01editvptlibrary.txt

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/Technology/story?id=1549972

http://www2.townonline.com/newton/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=414573&format=text

http://cjsd.blogspot.com/2005/12/terror-in-stacks.html

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0%2c%2c13509-2005615%2c00.html

> Big Content would like to outlaw things no one has
> even thought of yet
> The post points to broadcast flag draft legislation
> sponsored by
> Senator Gordon Smith (R-Ore.) that contains
> provisions which appear
> to limit digital broadcast media reception devices
> to "customary
> historic use of broadcast content by consumers to
> the extent such use
> is consistent with applicable law and that prevents
> redistribution of
> copyrighted content over digital networks." In other
> words, if it
> does anything heretofore unheard of with the digital
> content that it
> receives, then it's illegal. And if it does anything
> "customary" that
> could also possibly lead to unauthorized
> redistribution, then it's
> also illegal. So all the bases are covered!

=== message truncated ===