Re: SLA-SF: Thoughts on last night's program

From: Beth Graham (beth.graham@doj.ca.gov)
Date: Thu Feb 09 2006 - 09:25:48 PST

Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 09:25:48 -0800
From: Beth Graham <beth.graham@doj.ca.gov>
Subject: Re: SLA-SF: Thoughts on last night's program

Josh Marshall at TPM Cafe www.tpmcafe.com has just redesigned the site to a dual column, more newspaperish look. He explains here: http://www.tpmcafe.com/node/26241 that he's always like the serendipity of browsing an actual newspaper. (BTW, if you only open this latter link you will not see the dual-column format; you will if you open the first link.)

Beth Graham

>>> bayline_editor@yahoo.com 02/09/06 8:42 AM >>>
Interesting thoughts...

My feeling is format may not matter to us as
librarians (though we do have to educate those who say
books -- and thus libraries -- are on the brink of
obsolescence), but it's still an issue for newspapers.

As far as I know, newspapers are not planning to move
to a strictly electronic format anytime soon. And if
they did, they would certainly charge for access to
their content.

While the Chronicle and other papers may be driving
people to their Web sites with all of this new media,
that doesn't necessarily help circulation of the
regular print version. (I enjoy some of the SFGate
content, but I'm not inclined to subscribe because of
it.)

I don't recall much of the discussion Tuesday night
being about revenue, so I would be interested in
knowing if the new media is helping the Chronicle's
bottom line at this point -- or if they're just
shelling out cash for new media employees/content in
the hopes that this will drum up more business.

Heather Gamberg
SLA-SF Bulletin Editor and Webmaster