Re: SLA-SF: SLA's Homeland Security Initiative

From: Joshua E. Richardson (jer@anshen.com)
Date: Tue Sep 17 2002 - 09:57:25 PDT

From: "Joshua E. Richardson" <jer@anshen.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 09:57:25 -0700
Subject: Re: SLA-SF: SLA's Homeland Security Initiative

Karin,

Just want to say thank you for bringing this issue to my attention. I'm deeply troubled that
SLA leadership acted as it has. For what it's worth, here's what I wrote Lynn:

Lynn,

I am deeply troubled that the SLA, without having consulted with its own organization's
members, would send the type of letter it has to Tom Ridge, our prospective leader of
"Homeland Security." I do not feel as you do that it is "our obligation - our necessity –
our national responsibility" to support such an organization. I urge you to consult with SLA
members before you decide to send a statement that at a minimum, passively supports the
creation of a Homeland Security department. For I am indeed one "of thousands of
information experts who are ready to put their knowledge and skills to work to protect our
freedom," but for the purposes of protecting the freedoms this administration has so
frivously tossed aside in the wake of 9/11.

-Joshua Richardson