RE: SLA-SF: Librarians are

From: Rita Evans (revans@library.berkeley.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 11 2003 - 16:45:40 PDT

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 16:45:40 -0700
From: Rita Evans <revans@library.berkeley.edu>
Subject: RE: SLA-SF: Librarians are

I'm not interested in defending Gina Arnold, a writer with whom I am
completely unfamiliar, and there was a time when her comments would have
outraged me, but:

Whatever she meant by "proto-professional," I do think it's interesting
that "library science" and "project management" got lumped under that
heading. At places where I've worked, project managers can make some big
bucks, be heavily involved in interesting projects, control large budgets,
and get things done. Not bad company for us to be in!

I'm assuming it's the Libr Tech program at CCSF she was referring to, and
since that leads to an associate degree and employment in what we consider
to be "para-professional" positions, her characterization doesn't seem too
inaccurate.

Rita Evans