FW: [CALIX:1550] Re: Action Needed on Patriot Act Amendments

From: Karin Zilla (karinz@certifiedemployment.com)
Date: Thu Nov 20 2003 - 11:16:33 PST

From: "Karin Zilla" <karinz@certifiedemployment.com>
Subject: FW: [CALIX:1550] Re:  Action Needed on Patriot Act Amendments
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 11:16:33 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-calix@listproc.sjsu.edu [mailto:owner-calix@listproc.sjsu.edu]On
Behalf Of KTDyer@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2003 10:50 AM
To: calix@listproc.sjsu.edu; CALTAC@yahoogroups.com; bdcal@topica.com
Cc: KTDyer@aol.com

Please excuse cross posting. Karen Dyer

ACRL Legislative Update
Volume 2, Number 10, November 19, 2003

Action Needed on Patriot Act Amendments
          --In July, under the leadership of Representative C. L. "Butch"
Otter (R-ID), the U.S. House of Representatives voted 309-118 for
an amendment that would turn back one of the Patriot Act's most
over-reaching provisions, Section 213 or the "sneak and peek"
provision. --Section 213 of the Patriot Act allows the government
to search a person's home or office without notifying them for
weeks or even months after the search. These powers can be used in
all criminal cases, not just terrorism related investigations.
          --The House also approved an amendment offered by Representative
Bernie Sanders (I-VT) that would prevent the government from using
Section 215 of the Patriot Act to look at individuals' library or
book buying records.
           --Representatives Otter, Sanders, and John
Conyers (D-MI) are circulating a letter for members of the House to
sign on in support of keeping these provisions in the final law
known as an Omnibus Appropriations bill.
          --Action Needed: Please telephone your representative today and
urge
him or her to sign on to this letter. The Capitol Switchboard
number is (202) 224-3121. To sign on to this letter, your
representative's staff member should call Representative Sander's
office at (202) 225-4115. There is not much time until Congress
adjourns for the year, so please act on this matter quickly.
          To view a copy of the letter, visit
http://bordc.org/dearcoll1103.pdf.
          Post Adjournment Strategies
Congress will be adjourning anytime between now and mid-December.
You can track the latest schedule updates at www.house.gov or
www.senate.gov. In the meantime, you can start thinking about how
to connect with your elected officials during their break. Here
are some ideas:
          --Set up a meeting. Check in with the district
scheduler on potential timing. You can find this out at
www.congress.org.
          --Invite them to a holiday event. If your
library or institution is having a theme event around the holidays,
consider how your elected officials can be involved in your already
planned events. --Remember to say thank you. Now is a great time
to let your elected officials know that you appreciate their
support of our issues over the last Congressional session.
          Remember to thank the staff as well.
          For more advocacy tips, please visit the Advocacy Guru Web site at
www.advocacyguru.com or contact Stephanie Vance at
info@advocacyguru.com or call at (202) 244-4866.
[Note from Karen: We know we have many resources on advocacy and
opportunities to visit legislators as well as, at the state level, our Day
in the Disctrict (Friday, Jan. 23 and Friday, Jan. 30, as well as CLA
Legislative Day on April 21, 2004.]
          To join the list of academic and research librarians receiving the
ACRL Legislative Update directly, subscribe today by sending an
e-mail to listproc@ala1.ala.org with "subscribe LEGUPDATE your
name" in the message.
          From: Shannon Cary <scary@ala.org>