virtual learning series

From: Chris Orr (christineorr@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Apr 07 2004 - 13:24:02 PDT

Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 12:24:02 -0800 (GMT-08:00)
From: Chris Orr <christineorr@mindspring.com>
Subject: virtual learning series

I'm glad to see the interest in SLA's Virtual Learning Series. Thanks, Karin Zilla, for bringing one of the sessions to the attention of the list & for trying to elicit a place & scheme to hold it.

Here's my thought on this: Rather than have one individual (or ad-hoc committee) take on the task of finding a venue, collecting fees etc, I think it could naturally fall under the existing Program (or Professional Development) and Hospitality committees to organize one or more Virtual Learning sessions. I don't know how much lead time SLA HQ gives for these as far as date and topic, but I'm sure one or two could be added to our chapter's activities. Perhaps a single venue somewhere near a BART station could be identified with the needed video and seating resources for repeat visits, for example.

Probably too late for this year's "season" ? We should definitely bring this up at the board turnover meeting in June and find out if the incoming Program/Prof Develop/Hosp Chairs might be interested in making this part of their offerings.

I'm really glad that SLA HQ is building this virtual learning series. I'd love to see our chapter take advantage of good content, reasonable fees (the more who attend, the cheaper!) and a great model for spreading knowledge.

My two cents,
Chris Orr