RE: SLA-SF: San Francisco & San Andreas Chapter directories

From: Angela Moore-Evans (moore-evansa@silklaw.com)
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 13:20:21 PDT

Subject: RE: SLA-SF: San Francisco & San Andreas Chapter directories
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 13:20:21 -0700
From: "Angela Moore-Evans" <moore-evansa@silklaw.com>

My sentiment exactly.

Angela

        -----Original Message-----
        From: Elyse Eisner [mailto:eeisner@taylorlib.com]
        Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2004 12:59 PM
        To: SLA/SF Listserv
        Subject: Re: SLA-SF: San Francisco & San Andreas Chapter
directories

        What ever happened to printing advertising iin the directory and
charging for it, she asked crankily? I know of at least one vendor that
wants to advertise in a chapter directory - I had to tell them last year
that it was no go. Back in the day, we used to pretty much pay for the
publication that way.

        I'm not really cranky - just in need of lunch. But it's still a
question. :-)

        Elyse

        Thomas, Bruce wrote:

                The San Francisco Bay Region and the San Andreas
Chapters of the SLA have decided to discontinue printing chapter
directories for all members as a mater of course. Directory information
is available at the SLA HQ's website's Who's Who in Special Libraries
(www.sla.org).

                However, both chapters do offer a print-on-demand
directory available for $20 per copy. The POD directories look much the
same as the last regularly printed directory, only updated. The POD
directories include a complete listing of all SF & SA Chapter members
with contact information, division and chapter affiliation; a handy
division index; an equally handy organization index; and useful lists of
both chapters Executive Board and Advisory Board members. ("Really"? I
hear you say. "All that for a mere $20"?, you exclaim. "How can I live
without one"? you wonder. "How do I obtain one of these very useful
directories"? you inquire. "What a fabulous deal"! you shout, having
whipped yourself your imaginary shopper's frenzy).

                These POD directories are now available from your
chapter's Directory Chairman. Those of you who would like a printed
directory and are members of the SF chapter should order from Bruce
Thomas (BThomas@ruthchek.com). San Andreas members should order from Joe
Langdon (Joseph.A.Langdon@nasa.gov).

                All proceeds from the sale of these directories go
directly to the respective chapter's coffer. Buying a directory today
will help support your chapter's future programs and events.

                Bruce Thomas, Librarian

                "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside
of a dog, it's too dark to read".

                - Groucho MARX