RE: SLA-SF: San Francisco & San Andreas Chapter directories

From: Horacek, Tamara (tlh@dolby.com)
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 14:49:44 PDT

Subject: RE: SLA-SF: San Francisco & San Andreas Chapter directories
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 14:49:44 -0700
From: "Horacek, Tamara" <tlh@dolby.com>

Hi Elyse & Angela, It is a good question, and deserves a response. I was the advertising chair that solicited ads for our 1999 printed directory. As I recall we asked dozens of healthy vendors for advertising, as well as for help from the members. We ended up with a total of three ads and we made less than $1000. In the 2000-2001 directory there were only 2 ads and an insert, even though our volunteers worked very hard for several months to solicit advertising. At the time, this represented less than one fifth of the total printing and mailing costs. Since then those costs have increased significantly. Over the past three years, fundraising and advertising have obviously been even more challenging due to the economy. In 2002-2003 we made the difficult decided not to print the directory due to very tight budget restraints. Instead we opted to keep the Bayline in print for as long as possible, especially since the directory was freely available on the SLA web site. We did the best we could with the resources that we had. Recently it became clear that some of our members still wanted a nice printed directory. So we were very excited about devising a realistic way to make that happen. Now that the Bayline is online, funds may become available once again in the next 2-3 years for a free printed membership directory if there is enough ongoing member interest. I'd advise you to continue to discuss this further with your current Executive Board, and Strategic Chair. Kindest Regards, Tamara Horacek 415-558-0268 Past-President, Treasurer, Advertising _____ From: SLA-SF@exploratorium.edu [mailto:SLA-SF@exploratorium.edu] On Behalf Of Angela Moore-Evans Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2004 1:20 PM To: SLA/SF Listserv Subject: RE: SLA-SF: San Francisco & San Andreas Chapter directories My sentiment exactly. Angela -----Original Message----- From: Elyse Eisner [mailto:eeisner@taylorlib.com] Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2004 12:59 PM To: SLA/SF Listserv Subject: Re: SLA-SF: San Francisco & San Andreas Chapter directories What ever happened to printing advertising iin the directory and charging for it, she asked crankily? I know of at least one vendor that wants to advertise in a chapter directory - I had to tell them last year that it was no go. Back in the day, we used to pretty much pay for the publication that way. I'm not really cranky - just in need of lunch. But it's still a question. :-) Elyse Thomas, Bruce wrote: The San Francisco Bay Region and the San Andreas Chapters of the SLA have decided to discontinue printing chapter directories for all members as a mater of course. Directory information is available at the SLA HQ's website's Who's Who in Special Libraries (www.sla.org). However, both chapters do offer a print-on-demand directory available for $20 per copy. The POD directories look much the same as the last regularly printed directory, only updated. The POD directories include a complete listing of all SF & SA Chapter members with contact information, division and chapter affiliation; a handy division index; an equally handy organization index; and useful lists of both chapters Executive Board and Advisory Board members. ("Really"? I hear you say. "All that for a mere $20"?, you exclaim. "How can I live without one"? you wonder. "How do I obtain one of these very useful directories"? you inquire. "What a fabulous deal"! you shout, having whipped yourself your imaginary shopper's frenzy). These POD directories are now available from your chapter's Directory Chairman. Those of you who would like a printed directory and are members of the SF chapter should order from Bruce Thomas (BThomas@ruthchek.com). San Andreas members should order from Joe Langdon (Joseph.A.Langdon@nasa.gov). All proceeds from the sale of these directories go directly to the respective chapter's coffer. Buying a directory today will help support your chapter's future programs and events. Bruce Thomas, Librarian "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read". - Groucho MARX ----------------------------------------- This message (including any attachments) may contain confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose. If you are not the intended recipient, delete this message. If you are not the intended recipient, disclosing, copying, distributing, or taking any action based on this message is strictly prohibited.