Librarians needed for hurricane recovery - onsite and remote work

From: Goldman, Ava (Ava_Goldman@CalPERS.CA.GOV)
Date: Fri Sep 09 2005 - 10:24:52 PDT

Subject: Librarians needed for hurricane recovery - onsite and remote work
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 10:24:52 -0700
From: "Goldman, Ava" <Ava_Goldman@CalPERS.CA.GOV>

An update to the first posting within the last few days...

Ava Goldman
Senior Librarian, Human Resources, ASTD, 916-795-1533

Consider volunteering and please pass the following on to anyone you
know or any listserv you are on... __________________________

Dear Librarians, Information Professionals and other Friends,

The Geaux Library Project www.geauxlibrary.org will attempt to meet the
information needs at hurricane evacuee shelters around Louisiana and
beyond. Using computers and networking equipment donated to the Red
Cross and others by large commercial and local IT companies, we will be
setting up small computer labs at Red Cross shelters and staffing them
with librarians and other trained volunteers.

Our pilot locations in Louisiana will include the Gonzales, Baton Rouge,
and Acadiana (Lafayette) areas. We need your help!

Specifically, we have openings for the following volunteer positions:

On-site positions

Geaux Getters

You will do an initial needs assessment on the shelter(s) in your area.
You will be provided with a questionnaire to determine the information
necessary for the project. This will require you to visit the shelter
physically and in put your findings into a web-based form.

Geaux Coordinators

You will be responsible for determining and assigning the necessary
amount of volunteers for shelter(s) that they oversee. Communications
will take place over the phone, online, and possibly in person.
Coordinators may need to periodically visit the shelter site to
determine adequacy of resources. Coordinators can also double as Geaux
Librarians.

Geaux Librarians

You will be asked to supervise a small network of computers and
volunteers in a shelter. This may include: reference, referring in-depth
questions to our searcher network, data entry, instruction on computer
use to a population with very limited computer skills, coordinating
computer usage times among patrons, opening and/or closing the computer
area, basic technical support i.e. turning on computer and maintaining a
printer and/or fax machine, other duties as they arise. Shifts are
flexible.

Geauxfers

You will need to be available to do anything the Geaux Librarians or
Geaux Coordinators need you to do.

Geaux Techs

Hardware and network techs will be needed to troubleshoot any issues
that may come up at the various sites, and setup new shelter computers.
Some of the work may be done remotely depending on the issue.

Geaux Couriers

You will drive equipment and supplies from a pickup point to the
shelters. This can be a one time job or you can volunteer to do it more
often. We will specify the locations as they come up.

We have an immediate need for a Geaux Courier to bring equipment from
Lafayette to Gonzales or Baton Rouge!

Remote positions

Geaux Speed Searcher

You will be issued a login ID and password that will give you access to
questions posted by onsite librarians. You may work on these answers and
view other answers until a notice has been posted that no more are
needed. This may be done anytime, anywhere, and our only request is, in
accordance with the ALA Code of Ethics, to respect the confidentiality
of these questions.

Geaux Writer

You will write content for the website as needed such as policies,
volunteer position descriptions, link descriptions, etc.. Experience in
writing clear, easy to read information in a must.

Geaux Webmaster

You will maintain the geauxlibrary.org website. You must have experience
in using a variety of web programming languages and using database
driven websites.

Everything is completely voluntary at this time, but the satisfaction
you receive will be helping hurricane Katrina victims by doing what you
know how to do better than anyone else!

For more information and further description of volunteer opportunities,
please see our website at www.geauxlibrary.org. Go there to fill out the
volunteer signup form to become part of this much needed project.

We are also accepting Donations through the website. Click on the For
Donors section to see what items we need and how to donate.

We will be putting out instructions on how to start your own Geaux
Library in your area soon, so keep watching the website for more
information. The website is just now functional to get more volunteers
and donations. We will add more information when we get some help.

For our sanity, please do NOT reply to this e-mail! Use the website to
communicate with us.

Geaux Library Project (shelter) Organizers,

Becky Hebert and Addie Fletcher

---
You are currently subscribed to sla-dieb as: Ava_Goldman@calpers.ca.gov
leave-sla-dieb-120107969D@lists.sla.org