Clearinghouse for Special Libraries in Hurricane Affected States

From: Library (Library@kvn.com)
Date: Fri Sep 09 2005 - 16:31:06 PDT

Subject: Clearinghouse for Special Libraries in Hurricane Affected States
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 16:31:06 -0700
From: "Library" <Library@kvn.com>

This conversation originally took place on the SLA-SOLO listserv, but Michele McGinnis suggested I post it to SLA/SF as a challenge. Michelle had asked if there was a clearinghouse to donate to those Gulf state libraries that will need help rebuilding. I mentioned that law librarians had received a post about a clearinghouse the New England Law Library Consortium is working on for law libraries and that it is an great model for SLA to set up for special libraries. Perhaps SLA/SF could take a lead on getting a comparable Survey Monkey going for SLA? If not our chapter, could this suggestion be passed on to an appropriate person in the headquarters?
Paula Lichtenberg, Librarian
Keker & Van Nest LLP, San Francisco
library@kvn.com
This is the e-mail from NELLCO:
In the aftermath of Katrina, so many in our profession are seeking some way to help our colleagues who have been devastated by this disaster. Many libraries are offering donations of print resources to the affected libraries. Obviously, the affected libraries are not in a position to receive or even consider donations at this time. However, in due time these donations will be welcome as our colleagues begin assessing their needs. In an effort to coordinate these offers NELLCO has established a site to collect the information on your generous offers, which will be disseminated to those law libraries in need when they are back in a position to begin to rebuilding their collections. If you have any books or other print materials to offer please complete this form (see link below). "We cannot build our own future without helping others to build theirs" (William Jefferson Clinton). <http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=484411319254>
Tracy L. Thompson, Executive Director New England Law Library Consortium (NELLCO) www.nellco.org 603-357-3385 (voice) 603-357-2075 (fax) tracy.thompson@yale.edu