RE: SLA-SF: Final on SFPL cards

From: Library (Library@KVN.com)
Date: Wed Sep 15 2004 - 10:42:13 PDT

From: Library <Library@KVN.com>
Subject: RE: SLA-SF: Final on SFPL cards
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 10:42:13 -0700

We are still in the process of strategizing, so I didn't really have
anything to report yet, but this isn't over by a long shot. I will let you
know what is up next week after my co-conspirator and I meet for lunch.
Here are some point we discussed this morning after receiving your e-mail:

1) Visitors from Warsaw or London can get a $10 temporary borrowing card
(see the library's web site), but someone who works in the city can't? Like
they never lose cards from people from out of town who borrow books?
2) As excerpted from the S.F. Administrative Code, sec. 8.21-2, it seems
that the fee schedule is set by the Board of Supervisors (and administered
by the Library Commission) and they might be interested in hearing about a
possible new source of revenue. Plus, this is not a business friendly
decision in a time when the city is trying to attract business. (Remember
when there was an entire Business Branch?)

SEC. 8.21-2. LIBRARY FINES AND FEES.
     (a) Fee Schedule. The Library Commission is hereby authorized to
charge fines and fees for the use of library materials and services in
accordance with the following schedule:

SAN FRANCISCO PUBLIC LIBRARY FINES & FEES SCHEDULE

SERVICE FEES
 Borrowers Cards
 San Francisco & California Residents
 Free

Visitor's Card (non-California)
 $ 10.00
 Non refundable
3 months duration

Firm (business) card
 Free

3) From librarians in the SFPL system, we hear anecdotally that much of the
abuse comes not from business firms, but from teachers who share their cards
with students. Also churches. So keep the business card a businesses only
card and not for schools or churches, if that in fact is where the abuse
comes from.

Please keep my e-mail under your hat for. Once we have some ideas in mind
(hopefully next week), I fully intend to share this all with you, so SLA
take a leadership role in seeing this to a successful fruition. And I'm sure
there will be other useful posts coming in, like from Wynn Dobins.

Paula